Thursday, May 28, 2009

How's your reading going?

So, for those of you doing the 50 Book Challenge this year, or any kind of book-reading challenge, how are you doing? Are you keeping up? Are you keeping a list? Inquiring minds want to know!

I found this great meme on Paradoxrevealed.blogspot.com.

The following list of books teens love, books teens should read, and books adults who serve teens should know about was compiled IN ABSOLUTELY NO SCIENTIFIC MANNER and should be taken with a very large grain of salt.
Instructions:
Put an "X" next to the books you've read
Put a "+" next to the books you LOVE
Put a "#" next to the books you plan on reading
Tally your "X"s at the bottom
Share with your friends!

1. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy / Douglas Adams #
2. Kit's Wilderness / David Almond
3. Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian / Sherman Alexie #
4. Speak / Laurie Halse Anderson +
5. Feed / M.T. Anderson X
6. Flowers in the Attic / V.C. Andrews
7. 13 Reasons Why / Jay Asher X
8. Am I Blue? / Marion Dane Bauer (editor)
9. Audrey Wait! / Robin Benway
10. Weetzie Bat / Francesca Lia Block
11. Tangerine / Edward Bloor +
12. Forever / Judy Blume
13. What I Saw and How I Lied / Judy Blundell X
14. Tyrell / Coe Booth
15. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants / Ann Brashares X
16. A Great and Terrible Beauty / Libba Bray X
17. The Princess Diaries / Meg Cabot X
18. The Stranger / Albert Camus
19. Ender's Game / Orson Scott Card X
20. Postcards from No Man's Land / Aidan Chambers
21. Perks of Being a Wallflower / Stephen Chbosky X
22. And Then There Were None / Agatha Christie
23. Gingerbread / Rachel Cohn
24. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist / Rachel Cohn and David Levithan X
25. Artemis Fowl (series) / Eoin Colfer X
26. The Hunger Games / Suzanne Collins X
27. The Midwife's Apprentice / Karen Cushman X
28. The Truth About Forever / Sarah Dessen X
29. Little Brother / Cory Doctorow +
30. A Northern Light / Jennifer Donnelly X
31. Tears of a Tiger / Sharon Draper
32. The House of the Scorpion / Nancy Farmer #
33. Breathing Underwater / Alex Flinn
34. Stardust / Neil Gaiman X
35. Annie on My Mind / Nancy Garden
36. What Happened to Cass McBride / Gail Giles X
37. Fat Kid Rules the World / K.L. Going #
38. Lord of the Flies / William Golding X
39. Looking for Alaska / John Green #
40. Bronx Masquerade / Nikki Grimes
41. Out of the Dust / Karen Hesse X
42. Hoot / Carl Hiaasen X
43. The Outsiders / S.E. Hinton X
44. Crank / Ellen Hopkins
45 The First Part Last / Angela Johnson +
46. Blood and Chocolate / Annette Curtis Klause #
47. Arrow's Flight / Mercedes Lackey
48. Hattie Big Sky / Kirby Larson #
49. To Kill a Mockingbird / Harper Lee
50. Boy Meets Boy / David Levithan
51. The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks / E. Lockhart +
52. The Giver / Lois Lowry X
53. Number the Stars / Lois Lowry #
54. Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie / David Lubar #
55. Inexcusable / Chris Lynch X
56. The Earth, My Butt and Other Big, Round Things / Carolyn Mackler X
57. Dragonsong / Anne McCaffrey X
58. White Darkness / Geraldine McCaughrean X
59. Sold / Patricia McCormick #
60. Jellicoe Road / Melina Marchetta X
61. Wicked Lovely / Melissa Marr +
62. Twilight / Stephenie Meyer X
63. Dairy Queen / Catherine Murdock +
64. Fallen Angels / Walter Dean Myers
65. Monster / Walter Dean Myers #
66. Step From Heaven / An Na
67. Mama Day / Gloria Naylor
68. The Keys to the Kingdom (series) / Garth Nix X
69. Sabriel / Garth Nix #
70. Airborn / Kenneth Oppel
71. Eragon / Christopher Paolini X
72. Hatchet / Gary Paulsen #
73. Life As We Knew It / Susan Beth Pfeffer X
74. The Golden Compass / Phillip Pullman X
75. Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging / Louise Rennison
76. The Lightning Thief / Rick Riordan #
77. Always Running: La Vida Loca / Luis Rodriguez
78. how i live now / Meg Rosoff #
79. Harry Potter (series) / J.K. Rowling +
80. Holes / Louis Sachar +
81. Catcher in the Rye / J. D. Salinger X
82. Push / Sapphire
83. Persepolis / Marjane Satrapi
84. Unwind / Neil Shusterman +
85. Coldest Winter Ever / Sister Souljah
86. Stargirl / Jerry Spinelli +
87. Chanda's Secrets / Allan Stratton
88. Tale of One Bad Rat / Brian Talbot
89. Rats Saw God / Rob Thomas
90. Lord of the Rings / J.R.R. Tolkien X
91. Stuck in Neutral / Terry Trueman
92. Gossip Girl / Cecily Von Ziegesar X
93. Uglies / Scott Westerfeld +
94. Every Time a Rainbow Dies / Rita Williams-Garcia
95. Pedro and Me / Judd Winick
96. Hard Love / Ellen Wittlinger
97. American Born Chinese / Gene Luen Yang #
98. Elsewhere / Gabrielle Zevin #
99. I am the Messenger / Markus Zusak X
100. The Book Thief / Markus Zusak X

How many I have read: 47
How many I plan to read: 17
How many I need to research: 36
What about you?

12 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

The reading is going great over here! I'm at 32 which is good for me while keeping up with writing. It's all about the consistency.

C.R. Evers said...

oh fun! I'm on book #19. I thought I was doing good, but it looks like I have some catching up to do.

This looks like a fun meme. I'll have to try it sometime. I'm a little pressed for time right now.

Unknown said...

Ugh...I'm less than 20. Don't know for sure what # exactly, but less than 20. ARGH! Maybe I'll get more time to read this summer (hopehopehope)

PS: Hitchiker's Guide = awesome

Kelly H-Y said...

47?!?!? You go girl!!! That's awesome!

Keri Mikulski said...

I've read 52. When I taught seventh grade, I used five of the books listed.

Whew. What a list. :) Some of my faves.

Bish Denham said...

I'm keeping a list, but I'm a slow reader...So I'm up to 20 books.

There are many on the meme list I need to check out. You MUST read To Kill a Mockingbird!

Danyelle L. said...

Great list.

*makes face*

I have to stay away from lists like these. They get me into too much trouble. Barnes and Nobles is glad when the lists find me though. :D

Anonymous said...

I haven't been keeping track of all the books I've read this year, but I would estimate at least 30. At least 19 for sure are 2009 debut novels (I'm unofficially doing the 2009 debut challenge.)

I've read 28 of the books on the meme list ... whatever that means! I usually find these lists to be a bit inexplicable in terms of the authors and styles they mix. What do Agatha Christie, Rob Thomas, JRR Tolkien, An Na, Albert Camus, Sarah Dessen, Gail Giles, and Sister Souljah have in common? I suppose they prove that YA reading is anything but narrow in scope!

The ones I've read:
1,3,4,5,6,7,12,21,36,37,38,
39,43,49,50,54,55,56,58,62,63, 73,78,80,81,84,89, and 97.

One other book on the list I started, didn't like, and didn't finish. (It shall therefore remain nameless.)

Mary Witzl said...

Eek -- I've only read sixteen! My kids have read at least 30 of these and my husband has probably read close to that number too. I want to read lots more, I hope that makes up for something here...

As for the 50-books-a-year pledge, I'm already on thirty, so I think I'll make it. My problem is that I have so little free time, I tend to spend it on swimming and writing. When I finally sit down to read, I fall asleep.

I loved Tangerine, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Holes -- and once upon a time I was crazy about J. D. Salinger. I've outgrown him now.

Stacy Nyikos said...

I haven't read enough! I'm going to have to get on that. What a great list!

cleemckenzie said...

I'm embarrassed. I'm not even on the map as far as reaching a goal of 50 books read.

Does writing one count for anything?

Christina Farley said...

I need to go check out how many books I've read, but I think I'm doing well.

I like that list that you posted although there are so many good books that aren't on it too! It's an interesting mix that are there.
I've read I think- if I counted correctly only 16 on that list though!