Thursday, November 18, 2010

NaNoWriMo Update

I always schedule most of my posts weeks ahead of time.  That way I can focus on other things, like writing, reading other blogs, responding to those who comment on my blog, etc.  And I'm usually very good about not missing a post.

Not so today.

I got so caught up in NaNo that I just realized I didn't have a book review scheduled for today.  Um...oops.  :)  NaNo is taking all my spare thoughts every minute of every day.  Every chance I get, I sit down to write.  My house is a wreck, and I haven't folded laundry in two weeks.  If we need something to wear, we go rummaging through the basket of clean clothes.  :)  So it really shouldn't be surprising that I didn't have a post written for today.

But, I'm okay with it because I'm making good progress.  Considering how little time I get to sit down and write, I'm quite proud that I just passed 18k words last night.  I'll keep plugging away, and I'm still hopeful that I'll meet my goal of finishing the first draft by the end of the month.  We'll see, though.

So, no review this week.  I'll have one next week for sure, I promise. :)

ETA: Per LM Preston's suggestion, here's the first page of my NaNo project. Enjoy!

THE BIG BOOK OF LIES
Chapter 1: The Bribe
Dad slid the small velvet box across the cracked formica table. “For you, Alexis. Neil says this is at least two thousand years old, probably older.”

I stared at the box. I really wanted to open it because I was nuts about antiques and other really old stuff. Whatever was in the box had come from Dad’s head archeologist—Neil, who was on a dig in Peru—and I was dying to see what was inside.

But it was tainted. This box, plus a sumptuous milkshake at our favorite diner, was nothing but a bribe to get me to stop sulking. I knew it. Dad knew it. And that was the only thing keeping me from snatching up his gift.

Then again, it was an unspoken bribe. Technically, that meant I could ignore Dad’s intent, take the box, and do as I pleased. It’s what he would do...which was reason enough for me not to.

So, fine. I would stop sulking for the next few hours. At least Dad knew he had to give me something for it. Especially after what he’d put me and Mom through.

I pried open the box, and a tear-drop-shaped piece of carved stone was nestled on a bed of satin. It was old, all right. The surface was pocked and worn, and you could barely see the scroll design etched into the surface. Not the best piece I’d ever seen, but still good.

I turned it over. It was heavier than I expected, and...warm. The way stone feels when it’s been sitting in the sun for a long time. My fingers kind of tingled, too.

A hole had been cut through the narrow part at the top, like someone had strung it onto something. A piece of jewelry? Strange. Jewelry from this time period in Peru was usually gold. That made the piece unique. I loved it instantly.

“I thought you’d like it.” A triumphant smile stretched across Dad’s face.

I suppressed a snort, snapped the box shut, and tucked it into my pocket.

11 comments:

Veer Wilde said...

If I had the luxury of being allowed a messy house then it would look like a bombsite. Alas, anal other half will not let me so much as put my laptop, notebook, chocolate, cat and pens on the floor!

Mary Witzl said...

It must be a measure of how insane I've become in my writing fervor that I feel like congratulating you for your messy house and total absorption in your work. Few things are as wonderful as the intensity of concentration you get when you fall in love with what you are writing. I say, write on and forget the house!

I guess it helps that my other half wouldn't notice if a bomb went off here.

mARTy said...

I´m participating , too;-)I can imagine, what you are going through. And my home is a wreck, too:-) But, keep writing!

LM Preston said...

You could post a snippet of your nanowrimo novel ... we'd love it!

Tabitha said...

Veer - my hubby hates it, too, but we've been married long enough that he doesn't say anything anymore. :)

Mary - LOL!! You're so right about the intensity of concentration. I am LOVING it and my story right now. :)

Tabitha said...

mARTy - well then we can have messy homes together. :) Hope your progress is going well!!

LM - that is a splendid idea! I think I will...off to choose a passage, and then I'll edit this post and add it. Thanks!

Catherine Stine said...

What does this tear-shaped piece of stone protend? Inquiring minds want to know! Keep on keepin' on! Nano, here we go!!!

Tabitha said...

I'm working away on it as much as I can! :) Happy NaNo-ing!!

Anonymous said...

I've never participated in NaNo because my internal editor just won't be put on hold to get that first draft finished in 30 days, but I can see how NaNo would consume your life for the month. Great job so far. Keep it going.

cleemckenzie said...

Congrats on the words for NaNo. You're off to a great start! Messy houses are part of the writer's contract aren't they?

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

My house is a disaster and I'm not even doing NaNo. No excuse.