Monday, October 04, 2010

A Celebration of Banned Books

Today, I want to just appreciate a bunch of books that have been banned at some point or other. I’ve read these books at various points in my life—some as a child, some as an adult—and each of them have had a profound effect on me.

The Giver by Lois Lowry
I guess I’ve always been the black sheep of my family. It bothered me, because I had no one I could relate to growing up. But this book helped me realize that I can celebrate my individuality, and that there is a whole world of people out there. I don’t need to change myself to fit in with who is around me. Instead, I can keep searching until I find others who understand me.

His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman
This trilogy enabled me to take a good, hard look at my own beliefs, religious and otherwise. My revelations are far too personal to share, but I can say that these books were a catalyst for a turning point in my life for the better.

The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
Growing up, I always felt I had to succumb to social conformity. That was perpetuated by the whole black sheep thing, but I also felt I was supposed to do what others said I should do. This book showed me that, not only is it okay to say no, I could find my own path. And, if I found the right one, I could make myself happy rather than worrying about making everyone around me happy.

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Patterson
I read this book in seventh grade, and it was my first introduction to loss. I felt for the main character on a deep level. Years later, I lost a very good friend to a car accident. I didn’t know it at the time, but later on I realized that this book had already paved the way toward recovering from this kind of loss.

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L’Engle
Stubbornness runs in my family, and I can’t count how many times I heard “You’re too stubborn!” as I was growing up. It never occurred to me that stubbornness, which I always perceived as a weakness, could be used as an incredible strength. At least, not until I read this book. :) I was in grade school at the time, and this was a HUGE turning point for me.

And then there are a bunch of others that enabled me look at the world in a different light.
The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Patterson
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes by Chris Crutcher
That Was Then, This Is Now by S.E. Hinton
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Animal Farm by George Orwell
The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
A Separate Peace by John Knowles

I wouldn’t be where I am today without these books. They’ve helped shape and define me in so many good ways, and my life would be truly sad indeed if I’d never been exposed to them. I am very grateful that they came along when they did.

8 comments:

Sherrie Petersen said...

I'm always shocked by some of the books that are banned. So many are great books, and so many that make the list are completely NOT offensive. Makes you wonder who these people are that make such a stink.

Tabitha said...

No kidding. I mean, if someone finds a book offensive, then *don't read it*. And don't recommend it to others. Making a big stink about how no one should read it is a bit, well, narcissistic.

Mary Witzl said...

I'm shocked that all of those books have been banned at some point. People say that banning books effectively silences their authors, but I'm stubborn enough to want to read any book that has been banned just because someone wants to take away my chance to read it. I hope there are enough contrary people who feel the same so that these people who would stifle free speech are actually providing free publicity.

Tabitha said...

I think that happens often. Many people want to know what the fuss is and end up seeking out the banned book...which defeats the whole purpose of the banners. :) And it's the ONLY good thing that comes out of banning books. :)

cleemckenzie said...

There must be a book banning gene that runs through the human race and pops out these critters on a regular basis.

Wonder if our latest banner knows that the constitution of the U.S. was only ratified AFTER the first amendment, not before. The founding fathers were very wary of his kind and wanted to make sure we the people were protected from them.

Beth said...

Wow! I had no idea most of these had ever been banned!

beth-project52.blogspot.com

Tabitha said...

Lee - I think some people see what they want to see, and then twist the facts or content so that others are sure to see what they see. This latest banner surely is...especially when you see the stuff he's taking out of context and posting as 'evil.'

Beth - I don't understand why some of these were banned. Visionary or edgy (at that time)? Yes. Offensive? Most definitely not.

Ixoy said...

I remember, in grade school when I learned about book bannings. I was outraged (picture a child outraged over such things). We were just then reading Farenheit 451. My favortie book. It has a few lulls, however the story stayed in my heart forever! I vow, that if books are ever banned as they were in that story, I will commit a book to memory to preserve it forever.