Thursday, July 17, 2008

Savvy by Ingrid Law

As with all my book discussions, there are SPOILERS below.

I picked this book up because the author is an active member of the Verla Kay Blue Boards (plus, the cover art is spectacular). She said in one of her posts that she wanted to show that everyone has a Savvy, i.e. something special. And so, she wrote SAVVY. I thought that was a brilliant concept, and cracked the spine with a big grin on my face.

That grin got bigger the more I read.

I knew where the story was going, but I was dying to find out how it was going to get there. So I settled in to watch Mibs go on a journey (both literal and figurative) to discover her Savvy, then come to terms with it. It didn’t take long to find Mibs completely endearing. This is a beautiful story about self-discovery, with strong Voice and quirky language.

I just love stories like this, because the process of becoming comfortable with yourself is so empowering and confidence-inspiring. Which really shows at the end when Mibs faces her old school mates.

I loved how the ending wasn’t all tied up in a bow. I like how it took both Mibs and her brother to rouse her father, and that her father wasn’t perfect-perfect and back to normal two seconds after he’d woken up. In fact, after a year, he’s still not the same person he was.

The only place that gave me pause was the year fast-forwarded. Mibs’s father has obviously not been able to work, and her mother was still homeschooling the kids…which left me wondering how the family made a living. I would have liked an explanation for that – not much, just a sentence or two. But, really, the rest of the story was so good that I can overlook it.

Do yourself a favor by going out and buying this book right now!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds interesting...I'll have to look into it.

Tabitha said...

You'll love it. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely checking my bookstore for that book! Thanks for the view, Tabitha.

C.R. Evers said...

I just recently picked up Savvy at the library. It's next in line to be read! I'm looking forward to it. I've heard so many good things!

Tabitha said...

Pema and Christy, you won't be disappointed! :)

And for anyone who's read or reading it, feel free to drop a line to discuss it! :) I just love talking books.

Marcia said...

My library finally got a copy, and I've got it on hold. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Tabitha said...

Yay! :)

I finally got ahold of Jenna Fox from my library. I'd been on the waiting list so long I didn't think I'd ever get it. :)