Thursday, May 17, 2012

Torrent by Lisa Tawn Bergren


Gabi and Lia Betarrinihave learned to control their time travel, and they return from medieval Italyto save their father from his tragic death in modern times.   But love calls across the centuries, and thegirls are determined to return forever—even though they know the Black Plagueis advancing across Europe, claiming the lives of one-third of the population.

This is the third bookin the River of Time series: Waterfall, Cascade, and Torrent. I thoroughlyenjoyed the first two books, and this one did not disappoint. 


The story hits theground running, right where Cascade left off, and Bergren is masterful withpacing. This book had me on the edge of my seat from start to finish, and Istayed up reading *way* too late because I didn’t want to put it down. Actually,because I *couldn’t* put it down. :)

Gabi has gone back intime in order to try to save her father. That is, to try to bring him back intime to 14th century Italy, where Marcello lives. That’s how thestory opens. Since the story is all about what’s happening in 14thcentury Italy, we know Gabi will successfully bring her father there. Thequestion is, how will he handle it?

It was lovely to seeGabi’s family together again. A chance to see her mother happy, to have herfather back, to feel whole again. Those aspects came through well. Initially,Dad reacts as expected: confused and stunned, but then he sort of takeseverything in stride. I kind of wished it would have been harder for him,especially when he learns his daughters are heroes, which also makes them a bigol’ target for the enemy. I wish he’d had a harder time with this.

The rest of the storyis a rip-roaring adventure that is relentless and gripping. I could not tear myeyes away, even when the clock ticked on past 3am. Gabi and Marcello are justas fabulous as always, though they had some friction from their differentcultural backgrounds. This was a good thing. :) I liked how Bergren introducedit, and subsequently dealt with it. I also liked how Gabi starts to crack underthe strain of all the drama from everything that’s happened since she found thetomb. The reader has gotten a break between books, but Gabi hasn’t, and itshows.

This trilogy is greatfun with a good, strong main character. Definitely recommended. There are somenovellas coming out that continue this story, the first called Bourne and thesecond Tributary. I haven’t read them yet, but I will! I love the characters andI love the story. 

5 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

Sounds like a great book. I'm really not liking the cover though.

Tabitha said...

The covers of all three books are similar, and I was hesitant to pick up the first book. I was worried it was going to be to sappy and the main character too weepy, but I ended up loving Gabi.

Lisa Tawn Bergren said...

Thanks for the great review, Tabitha! I really appreciate you reading all three books--and getting so engaged you stayed up until the wee hours! You must be a true River girl. :-)

Tabitha said...

Yep, I must be! :) Honestly though, the pacing was so well done that I was glued to the pages. I couldn't have put it down even if I'd tried. :)

cleemckenzie said...

Time travel is always an appealing sci-fi/fantasy theme. I like the cover. It's a great change from the beautiful model type that's everywhere these days. Thanks for the review as always, Tabitha.