Thursday, February 24, 2011

Vixen by Jillian Larkin

Every girl wants what she can’t have. Seventeen-year-old Gloria Carmody wants the flapper lifestyle—and the bobbed hair, cigarettes, and music-filled nights that go with it. Now that she’s engaged to Sebastian Grey, scion of one of Chicago’s most powerful families, Gloria’s party days are over before they’ve even begun . . . or are they?
Clara Knowles, Gloria’s goody-two-shoes cousin, has arrived to make sure the high-society wedding comes off without a hitch—but Clara isn’t as lily-white as she appears. Seems she has some dirty little secrets of her own that she’ll do anything to keep hidden. . . .
Lorraine Dyer, Gloria’s social-climbing best friend, is tired of living in Gloria’s shadow. When Lorraine’s envy spills over into desperate spite, no one is safe. And someone’s going to be very sorry. . . .

I grew up in Illinois, and I’ve lived in Chicago for the past fifteen years. So when I saw this book coming out, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it.

It’s definitely a high-tension, high-drama story. The girls are being shoved into certain images either because it’s what expected of them or because they’re trying to hide from something else. But they don’t necessarily belong in those little boxes, and it’s interesting watching them try to get out.

I will say, though, that this wasn’t my favorite book. There is lots of what I call ‘girl drama,’ which is girls being mean to each other with very little motivation. There also isn’t much understanding or sympathy between friendships, which makes them appear shallow and convenient rather than deep and strong. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing—it’s just not my personal preference.

The details surrounding the time period were well done, especially around the speakeasies and dress styles. I had a clear image of the grungy basement turned glamorous, the crush of people, and the smoky air. It didn’t quite capture the complexities of the era, but what was there was very good.

If you like drama, this story has it in spades. If not, then you might want to look elsewhere.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This doesn't really sound like something I'd usually read, but it's a nice review. I appreciate your honesty.

Tabitha said...

Thanks. :) I'm not a fan of the kind of drama in this story, but I know plenty of others who are. Plus, the details from the era are great, so it could easily be someone else's cup of tea. :)

T.D. McFrost said...

Do I stand a lonely man when I say I love girl fights? Especially if they're fighting over me? (You'll be shocked to know that has actually happened).

I love Jersey Shore and the tension between JWOW and Sammi is electrifying. So, if anyone likes that sort of drama, then books of this nature is right up your alley.

I do like your review Tabitha, very clear and concise. :)

Tabitha said...

I doubt very much you'd be the only man enjoying a girl fight. :) I just don't have the patience for them. My favorite kind of girl fight would be the equivalent of Indiana Jones pulling a gun on the guy with the huge sword. :)

Ronald L. Smith said...

I saw it in the bookstore the other day and the cover drew me in. One thing that caught my interest was the time period. I haven't seen a lot of YA novels set in the Roaring 20s

(Then again, I'm not the intended audience.)

Tabitha said...

I haven't seen many roaring 20's books either, and that's mostly what intrigued me.

Because of that, I'm still torn whether or not to read the next book. I'm still intrigued by the time period, but it'll bother me if the story is mostly girl drama. Dunno...I probably won't decide until the next book is out and on the shelves. :)

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Very nice review. I love the 20s, but this doesn't sound like my kind of read. Thanks.