Saturday, November 22, 2008

NANO update #2

Another week has gone by, and the flu has still infiltrated my house! My youngest son was down with it all week. Thursday was his first day back to preschool, and I got a little writing done on friday. So I'm up to 13,250 out of 50,000. *sigh* I was hoping to be further along, but oh well. :) With a sick child in the house, what are ya gonna do? :)

On the plus side, I absolutely LOVE my main character! I love writing her story, and right now I'm just writing what she tells me to write. It's such a joy, and her Voice is so strong! I guess you could say I'm in the first draft lovey-dovey stage, but there's more to it. She's a fabulous character to write, and so fun! That right there is going to see me through to the end of this story, and probably a zillion revisions afterwards. :)

On a completely different note, Editorial Anonymous has offered to grade writers on their ability to write a synopsis, based on a well-known novel. You'd think she'd have writers banging her door down, right? Nope. She's only got two, but she's giving everyone the weekend to write up a synopsis and email it to her. So if you want to test your synopsis-writing ability, get out those notepads!

10 comments:

Brenda said...

Even if you don't make it to the 50,000 words...you've found a wonderful character who will talk to you long after November is done...that is even better...good luck with her...

And congrats on your word count...with a sick child, you did pretty darn good...hugs...

C.R. Evers said...

Oh noooo! I"m so sorry to hear about that nasty bug that's overtaken your family. That's never fun, especially when you have things you want to get done! ((((((hugs)))))

But I"m so glad you're enjoying your character. That's the real point of NaNo anyway, isn't it? That you're getting a new idea out and loving it. What good is 50,000 words if you aren't loving it?

Way to go for plugging along, despite the obstacles!!! YOu go girl!

Christy

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

Sorry I haven't visited you much. I am just checking in to say hang in there! you're doing great! Don't worry about your word count (easier said than done, I know!) but just worry about where you are now compared to where you were October 31.

Keri Mikulski said...

Hope your son gets better soon. The flu already? Yikes.

An amazing word count with sick kids. You go. :)

And enjoy the love affair with your main character. Great stuff.

Kelly Polark said...

You've accomplished a lot already...being a mom comes first!
I hope your family is well soon. I do believe one of mine is coming down with strep throat as we speak..the joys of winter..

PJ Hoover said...

Writing a synopsis is so hard! What a great exercise.
Hope you feel great, and I'm just happy you've done as much as you have. You're writing and that's what counts.

Bish Denham said...

What you have written is the thing to remember. I've gotten nowhere with my NaNo project. Have been completely uninspired. But yesterday a NEW idea came to me. I worked on outlining in and I have the start of something I'm excited about! That is a good thing.

Tabitha said...

Thank you all for your well wishes! It's so nice to have a cheering crowd behind you... :)

My oldest son is home all next week (his school is closed), but he's not showing any signs of catching the flu. So I'm hoping I can grab some writing time here and there. At the very least, I'm going to follow Laurie Halse Anderson's advice and target fifteen minutes per day. :)

Marcia said...

I'm sorry to hear it's taken so long to get the flu out of your house! I hope Thanksgiving week is infinitely better for you.

If you found a great character with a great voice, you've already gotten super benefit from NaNo. Now I'd love to know -- do you think NaNo BROUGHT you the character? Or would you have gotten her anyway?

Tabitha said...

Yes, I most definitely feel that I'm through half the battle, especially since Voice is a constant issue with me. :) I'm thrilled to have a character and voice strong enough to carry me through this story. :)

As for Nano bringing me this character? Nope. I'd have found her anyway - I was seized with this idea almost a year ago, and I had to take some notes and then force myself to set it aside so I could finish my current project. This idea was so strong that I'd have found my character either way. Though Nano helped me find her quicker. :)